Skip Navigation
A legacy of leadership UMaine will celebrate its 150th anniversary in 2015

The Maine College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts was established in 1865 under the Morrill Act that was signed by President Abraham Lincoln. Three years later, the first class — 12 students — was welcomed to campus. In 1897, the college changed its name to the University of Maine and its statewide mission as Maine’s land grant institution continued, stronger than ever.

In 2015, the University of Maine will celebrate its 150-year legacy of leadership in the state. Events, activities and publications — including UMaine Today — will provide opportunities for members of the UMaine community and its many constituents to reflect on the history of Maine’s land and sea grant university, and look to its future.

Watch for the University of Maine’s 150th website (umaine.edu/150) at the start of the new year.

1895 Faculty group photo

President A.W. Harris and faculty and staff are pictured here (not in order) on the steps of Coburn Hall in 1893: Alfred Aubert, James Bartlett, David Colby and Lucius Merrill, chemistry; Fred Briggs, natural history; Horace Estabrooke, English; Harriet Fernald, librarian; Walter Flint, mechanical engineering; Harris Gould, Weldon Munson and David Trine, horticulture; Gilbert Gowell, animal industry; Nathan Grover, civil engineering; Charles Hamlin, insolvency; James Hart, mathematics and astronomy; Francis Harvey, natural history; Mark Hersey, military science; Whitman Jordan, agriculture; Allen Rogers, history, logic and civics; Fremont Russell, veterinarian; James Stevens, physics; and Howard Webb, registrar.

Back to top

Fall 2014


Back to the Fall 2014 Issue